So if you’ve been following along with me on Instagram (@laurnashley), then you probably saw that I celebrated my birthday a couple weeks ago.
I headed to New York City and the Hamptons to spend time with my friends and enjoy some sun, sand, and LOTS of frozé! Because I wasn’t at home for my actual birthday, Jason and I celebrated early while I was still in Atlanta. Initially I really wanted a new bag, because….who doesn’t want a new fancy bag for the season? But, in recent years my taste in purses has gone on the pricy side and I splurged a little too much last year. In 2016 I got my Chloe, my Saint Laurent, and the big mama of all purses…my Chanel.
With all those big buys, I had to realize that I’m not Oprah and need to cool it on the expensive purse front! So while there are many bags that I have my eye on – I had resolved to hold off until Christmas or even next year. Being the amazing hubby he is, Jason decided to pick me up a birthday treat that he had seen on one of my recent Lust Lists: the Dior Twilly!
While I had originally planned on wearing it to work under a collared shirt, I remembered loving how I saw it wrapped around the handle of a handbag. Upon opening my gift, I immediately marched down to Dior and had them tie it around the handle of my Saint Laurent. I asked the associate if it was a faux-pas to have it wrapped around a different designer’s bag and she said not at all – people do it all the time! I have to say, I’m absolutely in love with the way it looks. I think it adds even more style and sophistication to an already classic and ladylike bag. The moral of the story is that I feel like with this small addition, my bag has been totally transformed! I feel like it’s a BRAND NEW bag and I’m even more excited to wear it with new outfits. Sometimes it just takes a little creativity or a different perspective to make something old feel new again. Love the look of a scarf tied around a bag? Check out this post featuring my fav scarves at a variety of prices!
In my opinion, certain fabrics evoke certain seasons. Tweed makes me think of crisp air and Fall blazers. Lush fur makes me think of the bitter cold of Winter. And floral chiffon is a sure sign of Spring! Just like those, gingham always makes me think of the joys of summertime. The check fabric induces memories of pool parties, picnics in the park, and long sunshiney days.
You may have seen me rock the print last year… and that top is totally still one of my fav’s! But this year, I really wanted a dress or skirt…something a little more breezy for the blazing Georgia heat. My friends at Shein were happy to help and sent me this summery two piece! It’s the best of both worlds… I can wear piece separately, show a little midriff, or even layer the top over the skirt to make it look like a dress! Besides the versatility, I love that this look is so affordable. Can you believe that both pieces only cost $28! Yep, you read that right! So what are you waiting for? You deserve a new outfit for those few remaining Summer Fridays!
Thank you to Shein for partnering on this post!
This week I’m highlighting some lust-worthy picks inspired by my best friend, Rachel. These pieces are a little of her, a little of me – but all the way fabulous!
1. Golden Mink Eye Shadow Quad: Tom Ford. So I’ve seen two people (with very different skin tones) wearing this eye-shadow and it literally looks good on everyone. The warm tones and touch of sparkle aren’t your everyday nude – but they aren’t over the top either. When I was in New York I sneakily used the palette after digging through Rachel’s makeup bag – and fell in love. Hook a sista up, Rach!
2. Liri Pearl Blush Choker: Lionette by Noa Sade. Full disclosure – I already bought this choker! I had a pretty big client meeting last week, for which I had to fly up to New York. Since it was my first time back in the city since we moved, I wanted to go back to my old stomping grounds with a new outfit. I kept it conservative… but of course, fashionable! I still wanted to feel youthful and like myself. Funny enough – my mom actually picked out this choker! The blush stones bring a girly touch to an edgier piece of jewelry, and the pearl is the sweetest touch. Plus it’s on sale (link below)!
3. Ruched Shirt Dress: Veronica Beard. This dress brings sex appeal to an otherwise conservative silhouette. I love the neckline, the button details and the figure-hugging fit. Rachel tried it on in white and it was absolutely stunning. The white is the crisp kind of dress you can wear to work and then out for rooftop cocktails and not look out of place! The black is so chic and would be great even later in the year, layered under a chunky cardigan or leather jacket. Can I have it in both black and white please?!
4. Mitzah Twilly: Dior. Earlier this year, I wrote a post on top “neckerchiefs,” but now I’ve got one more to add to the list! On a recent shopping trip to Dior – Rach got this pretty twilly that she wears around her neck. It’s the perfect size and less bulky than a full-fledged scarf. Since then, I’ve had my eye on the monogrammed collection! I love that each letter has a distinct style – and it just so happens that the “O” is my favorite! While Rachel mostly wears hers around her neck, I see myself wrapping the handle of my favorite handbag.
5. The Noir 29 Shower Gel: Le Labo. Again with my stealing Rachel’s cosmetics and fragrances. It’s not my fault she’s a beauty guru! When staying at her place I used this shower gel by Le Labo and the scent was absolutely intoxicating!! It’s a little pricey, but I think I’m going to spring for it to use on nights when I want a more luxurious shower experience!
6. Coco Knotted Velvet Slide Sandal: Loeffler Randall. Words can’t express how much I love these shoes! I bought them in the prettiest shade of marigold yellow, but they’re SO COMFORTABLE and look good with everything – that now I want them in watermelon. Am I being greedy? How does that saying go, “If the shoe fits, buy them in every color!”
And there you have it…this week’s round-up. Let me know your favorite pick in the comments below!