I was so flattered that after I posted my family photos, so many of you were interested in my looks! It inspired me to write a post on what to wear for family portraits. It can be so tricky! My advice is the following:
- Choose outfits that are timeless and will look beautiful 5, 10, or 20 years later when you reflect on these special moments.
- Be mindful of how your body will move and what will be shown in the photos – especially if you’re holding a baby. I didn’t want to have my chest out or too much legs, so I specifically looked for midi and maxi dresses.
- Let your beautiful family be the focus! I would avoid super bright colors or wild prints that might distract or be an eyesore with multiple people in frame.
With those tips in mind, here are some of my favorite picks for what to wear for your family photos!
- Zimmermann Poppy Dress: The first of my looks. I love the subtle scallop detailing and light pink embroidery that is not too overwhelming. I thought it was gorgeous to complement a baby girl’s nursery and pink outfits.
- Self Portrait Floral Dress: If you’re comfortable with a strappier number (could be beautiful for Summer portraits), this baby blue stunner is gorgeous for family photos with a little boy.
- Self Portrait Midi Dress: I love the modesty of this dress with the feminine details, including the mesh neckline and sleeves, as well as dainty jeweled belt. It beautifully combines the classic and playfully modern.
- Aje Mimosa Dress: Another dress that combines vintage silhouettes with modern details. The tafetea and puff sleeves are modernized with strategically placed cutouts and a sweet shade of cotton candy pink.
- Rodebjer Tunic: The second of my looks! I am absolutely obsessed with this dress and its timeless appeal. It’s a classic all-cream option with dainty cutouts and a beautiful silk texture!
- Needle & Thread Sequin Dress: This gorgeous dress adds a bit of sparkle without being too much. The beautiful pastel color palette is just muted enough to tone down the showy aspect of sequins.
- Zimmermann Botanica Dress: Another modest, but flattering Zimmermann number. The delicate print has that subtle transition to blue that won’t be too distracting. It would pair beautifully with a little boy’s look!
- Philosophy Poplin Dress: A classic and crisp white dress is always a good idea! I love this one with a ruffle neckline that adds a bit of flare.