If you’re like me, then you might think gingham is one of those patterns/prints that is perfect for Summer! I rocked it last year with this top and most recently with this two-piece set. BUT, if you got a new piece for the warmer months, don’t be too hasty packing it away now that it’s Fall!
With a strategically placed jacket or accessories, you can extend the wear of your fav gingham piece for a little longer! That’s the case with me and these cropped pants! In the warmer months, I would wear these with a blousy white shirt and sandals. Now that cooler weather is headed our way, I opted to wear with a black bodysuit, topped off with my leather jacket. For a pop of color and texture, I added my yellow mules that bring the luxe-factor with the velvet.
I think just a couple small details help bring the outfit to life in a different way! What do you dolls think, would you rock your gingham as the seasons start to change?
I think it’s happened to all of us- you walk into a store, see an outfit on the mannequin and want EVERYTHING that makes up the look…head to toe! In today’s age of social media, we also have the perfect outfit images on Pinterest, Instagram, and our favorite bloggers to entice us to recreate an outfit on ourselves.
Personally, it happens to me every time I look at images from Intermix. It’s no longer, “oh that’s a cute sweater.” It’s “I want the sweater, but I also need the perfect jeans, shoes, earrings, and bag to go with it!” It’s a dangerous trap my friends.
Recently this happened to me when I saw one of Intermix’s Summer catalog looks. I loved the jumpsuit, the shoes, the entire spirit captured by the outfit. Well, at the time – the jumpsuit had a bit of a hefty pricetag, and don’t get me started on the shoes. So here was my plan of attack: I sprung for the shoes. I felt like those were the piece that were the most special and would be hard to copy. I’m glad I bought them! They’re the most gorgeous shade of marigold yellow, a luxe velvet that can be worn in the transition from Summer to Fall, and they’re comfortable to boot! Next, I kept my eye out for jumpsuits at a more reasonable price! I was able to find the one pictured at a fraction of the cost at my local Dillards! To finish of my “look for less” I bought a vintage Levi’s jacket on ebay for $25!
So while my look isn’t exactly the picture-perfect style from Intermix, I was able to make the outfit my own and save quite a bit of cash in the process! My advice to those of you looking to imitate the fashion images we’re bombarded with – start with the piece you can’t live without (or that you can’t replicate), and then look for some other options to evoke the same feeling, but that won’t break the bank. Plus, (and this is something I have to remind myself of) there’s ALWAYS another outfit, always another piece you’re going to want. So, splurge on the have to haves and save on the imitable. Your wallet AND closet will thank you!
This week I’m highlighting some lust-worthy picks inspired by my best friend, Rachel. These pieces are a little of her, a little of me – but all the way fabulous!
1. Golden Mink Eye Shadow Quad: Tom Ford. So I’ve seen two people (with very different skin tones) wearing this eye-shadow and it literally looks good on everyone. The warm tones and touch of sparkle aren’t your everyday nude – but they aren’t over the top either. When I was in New York I sneakily used the palette after digging through Rachel’s makeup bag – and fell in love. Hook a sista up, Rach!
2. Liri Pearl Blush Choker: Lionette by Noa Sade. Full disclosure – I already bought this choker! I had a pretty big client meeting last week, for which I had to fly up to New York. Since it was my first time back in the city since we moved, I wanted to go back to my old stomping grounds with a new outfit. I kept it conservative… but of course, fashionable! I still wanted to feel youthful and like myself. Funny enough – my mom actually picked out this choker! The blush stones bring a girly touch to an edgier piece of jewelry, and the pearl is the sweetest touch. Plus it’s on sale (link below)!
3. Ruched Shirt Dress: Veronica Beard. This dress brings sex appeal to an otherwise conservative silhouette. I love the neckline, the button details and the figure-hugging fit. Rachel tried it on in white and it was absolutely stunning. The white is the crisp kind of dress you can wear to work and then out for rooftop cocktails and not look out of place! The black is so chic and would be great even later in the year, layered under a chunky cardigan or leather jacket. Can I have it in both black and white please?!
4. Mitzah Twilly: Dior. Earlier this year, I wrote a post on top “neckerchiefs,” but now I’ve got one more to add to the list! On a recent shopping trip to Dior – Rach got this pretty twilly that she wears around her neck. It’s the perfect size and less bulky than a full-fledged scarf. Since then, I’ve had my eye on the monogrammed collection! I love that each letter has a distinct style – and it just so happens that the “O” is my favorite! While Rachel mostly wears hers around her neck, I see myself wrapping the handle of my favorite handbag.
5. The Noir 29 Shower Gel: Le Labo. Again with my stealing Rachel’s cosmetics and fragrances. It’s not my fault she’s a beauty guru! When staying at her place I used this shower gel by Le Labo and the scent was absolutely intoxicating!! It’s a little pricey, but I think I’m going to spring for it to use on nights when I want a more luxurious shower experience!
6. Coco Knotted Velvet Slide Sandal: Loeffler Randall. Words can’t express how much I love these shoes! I bought them in the prettiest shade of marigold yellow, but they’re SO COMFORTABLE and look good with everything – that now I want them in watermelon. Am I being greedy? How does that saying go, “If the shoe fits, buy them in every color!”
And there you have it…this week’s round-up. Let me know your favorite pick in the comments below!