So Spring is on my mind. Off the shoulder tops, pastels, and a whole lot of dresses! I’ve got some fun events coming up: Alexa’s bachelorette, a weekend in NYC, and influencer events around town. I think it’s the perfect time for me to re-up on some flirty dresses to kick the season into gear. Below are my top dresses for Spring that I can’t get out of my head. Enjoy!
1. Ok so this technically isn’t a dress; it’s a jumpsuit. But this is my blog and I make the rules! We all know I’m obsessed with a jumpsuit (see recent ones here and here), but this fiery number will make you look like the dancing girl emoji that got a cool closet makeover. Wear this to a Saturday fiesta with a margarita in-hand!
2. The shape of this dress is so sexy, and I love the unexpected color! You’d imagine this to be red, black, or even white, but the pale lilac makes it so irresistible. Wear this to dinner with your girlfriends and then hit the dance floor!
3. Star prints have always been a favorite of mind, and this dress is no exception. The creamy color of the silk mixed with the rock and roll flare of the hem and sleeves makes this dress edgy, yet whimsical at the same time. Plus with the empire waist, it’s super flattering for all body types! Wear this to date night underneath a leather jacket!
4. A more structured dress than the others on the list – this one packs quite the girly punch. Between the hot pink color and the bows along the side slit, it’s feminine without being too sweet. Wear this dress to a cocktail party!
5. A quintessential Spring dress than can be worn with some yellow mules (I have these in mind) or a strappy nude sandal. You’ll look like the embodiment of Spring in this flattering and romantic dress. Wear this to a garden party or your friend’s baby shower!
Do you ever find yourself sticking to colors, silhouettes, or just general styles that you feel work best for you?
For me, I feel like it’s a fit and flare dress or a full skirt. I find it’s the perfect shape to highlight my waist and looks amazing on pear shapes.
When I first started Brown Paper Doll – this look was the very first outfit I shot! I felt it perfectly showcased my style – feminine, but you can totally throw a leather jacket on top. Well, a year and a half later I’ve upgraded that same look with a new take on some black and white favorites. For our recent trip to Charleston, I wanted something upscale but not stuffy for dinners and cocktail hour. I opted for a full skirt (my favorite shape) and an off-the-shoulder blouse that shows some skin, while also letting me feel covered.
While switching it up is what fashion is all about – there’s something to be said for sticking to favorites that you feel work for you. What about you dolls? Is there a look you turn to over and over again?
Usually I’m not a fan of showing so much skin, but this year’s sheer fashion trend has me totally on board! You’re able to leave little to the imagination, but still be tasteful at the same time. So what is sheer fashion you might ask? It’s undershirts…dresses…tops with some peekaboo elements. Think mesh or sheer chiffon! Sheer fashion can be subtle with mere sheer panels, OR an entire bodysuit, or even dress.
And as someone who likes a little more coverage, I love pairing my sheer fashion with an overcoat or leather jacket and something high-waisted. So how do I wear the trend? Well, I got my sheer fashion from somewhere you might not expect…Spanx! While some may associate Spanx with the ultra-smoothing shapewear we’ve come to know and love, they also have a range of activewear, lingerie, and fashion pieces! I spotted this flocked dot bodysuit and instantly saw the sexy potential.
For my outfit, I paired my bodysuit with another great Spanx piece – The Nudist Wireless Bra in black! I threw on a high-waisted skirt to add some sparkle and glamour, and then threw on a long overcoat to only give a peekaboo of skin. Lastly, I finished my look with baby blue chandelier earrings to tie together the look. What I love about the bodysuit is that it’s so stretchy! I wasn’t afraid of poking holes, it being too tight (even though it looked tiny when it came in the mail), or being difficult to put on/take off multiple times. While I opted for a sexier look and baring my bra – I think this particular piece will be great for layering! I can totally see myself wearing it under a sleeveless dress to add a pop of texture to my look. Here’s to many more outfits or mixing and matching, layering and going sheer!
What do you dolls think? Would you rock the sheer fashion?