In my opinion, certain fabrics evoke certain seasons. Tweed makes me think of crisp air and Fall blazers. Lush fur makes me think of the bitter cold of Winter. And floral chiffon is a sure sign of Spring! Just like those, gingham always makes me think of the joys of summertime. The check fabric induces memories of pool parties, picnics in the park, and long sunshiney days.
You may have seen me rock the print last year… and that top is totally still one of my fav’s! But this year, I really wanted a dress or skirt…something a little more breezy for the blazing Georgia heat. My friends at Shein were happy to help and sent me this summery two piece! It’s the best of both worlds… I can wear piece separately, show a little midriff, or even layer the top over the skirt to make it look like a dress! Besides the versatility, I love that this look is so affordable. Can you believe that both pieces only cost $28! Yep, you read that right! So what are you waiting for? You deserve a new outfit for those few remaining Summer Fridays!
Do you ever watch movies that take place in the past and admire how glamorous everyone looks while traveling? Think “Catch Me If You Can” (Leo…swoon), and how gorgeous the women looked in their pastel suits, heels, and hats.
Today, it’s more common to see people in sweats and sneakers while they’re on the go in the airport. It makes me yearn for the chic travel of the past. Don’t get me wrong…comfort and practicality are key. But I guess its about finding that right balance.
For example, on my recent trip to New York, I traveled in the cutest ALC High waisted trousers, a L’Agence tank, and an Iro knitted jacket. It sounds cute, and I thought I was going to be the chicest woman in the skies. But in reality, the pants were wrinkled by the end of the flight! In fact, I probably would’ve looked more polished if I simply threw on an old pair of jeans. All that to say, when I travel I want to look stylish and put together, but still be comfortable! My tip…wear what makes you feel great. These days, I mostly travel in a longer midi-dress with a jacket or oversized scarf for if I get cold in the airport or plane. OR I opt for jeans and cotton shirt (like my fav tshirt) and a moto jacket. I rock my looks with a chunky heel (like these) OR a chic flat like my Gucci slides or Jonathan Sanders sneaks.
As for what to pack – I always make sure to pack some key essentials for every flight:
2. Your favorite pair of sunnies. I ‘m leaning towards classic shapes and dark frames. I just feel like adding a pair of sunglasses just instantly makes an outfit more glamorous!
3. Something Comfy. Last, but certainly not least – pack something that makes you feel comfortable while away from home. For me, I love a soft sweatshirt for lounging around the hotel, or running casual errands. I usually go for navy, grey, or cream – and this one just spoke to me. Taco time? Always.
4. A beloved and travel-sized perfume. You never know when you want a little spritz to make you feel fresh. I love that this bottle – a travel size of Margiela’s sexy “Jazz Club” has a spray top, and isn’t a roll-on. For some reason, I feel like the scent is just stronger when you can spray it on. Plus, this scent in particular is just irresistible. Can’t get enough of it? Click here for the full-size!
5. A travel-sized dry shampoo. Sometimes you hair can feel limp or greasy after travel. I know often times I hop off the plane, go to work or do activities during the day, and then don’t have time to fully do my hair again by evening time. This spray by Oribe smells divine and will keep your locks looking fresh. Get the full-size spray here!
6. Comfortable Heels. Pack some heels that can take you from day to night and won’t make you feel crippled along the way. Since I’ve been traveling back to New York, I’ll wear heels to work and then usually walk to drinks or dinner. I want to feel dressy, but definitely don’t have time or patience for heels that hurt! Plus…life is too short for uncomfortable shoes!
If you dolls saw my last post, you’ve probably gotten the hint that I’m a little obsessed with ruffles at the moment. Not too many, but just enough. I’m also obsessed with a good steal!
This black dress from H&M is the answer to both! It’s dressy but won’t break the bank. When I saw it, I initially thought it would be a great dress for dinner or an event on a Summer evening. However, the more I thought about it, I wanted to dress it down for a more casual look – even appropriate for work!
I love that the top of the dress is fitted and the ruffles aren’t overpowering, so I added an oversized denim jacket to play down the dressy-factor. For work, I added flats – espadrilles to be specific, because I thought the straw would add a chill and summery vibe. But I also see myself wearing it with my Gucci slides, or even sneakers. What I also love about this look is that it can easily go from day to night. I just take off the denim jacket, add some heels and my favorite bag – and I’m ready to hit the town!
What do you dolls think? Do you like the daytime or evening look better? Or would you rock both?
Light Blue Denim Jacket – Levi’s (Sold Out. Similar). Black Ruffle Dress – H&M (In-Store Only). Navy Espadrilles: Chanel.
Thanks again to Cat Galletti for the amazing photos. For more of her work, visit here site HERE.